- Cottage pie or shepherd’s pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato. The term cottage pie is known to have been in use in 1791, when the potato was being introduced as an edible crop affordable for the poor.Wikipedia
Real comfort food for both young and old.
4 medium potatoes – peeled (and milk and butter for mash)
500 g lean mince
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
olive oil for frying
1 cup vegetables chopped ( I used peas)
Salt, pepper , paprika and Mixed Herbs to taste
- Peel the potatoes, cut in slices and boil until soft.
- Fry the onion in the oil until soft.
- Add the mince, garlic to the onions.
- Once the mince has a nice brown colour to it, add the tomatoes and seasoning.
- Mix together well.
- Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked, add the mixture to casserole dish. (I left it in the cash iron pot)
- Mash the potatoes, add some milk and butter to create a soft even consistency (it should not be runny).
- Now spread the mash potato evenly over the mince mixture.
- Place the dish under the grill for a few minutes and allow to turn golden brown.